Agriculture is a significant aspect of the agricultural sector. An agriculture researcher finds out ways and means to improve quality and yield of crops, increase food production and improvement in the areas of soil and water conservation. For this, the researcher studies crop physiology and ecology. Efficient and optimum use of water resources, use of high yielding variety of seeds, right kind of manure and pesticides, etc, fall under the purview of a researcher.
An Agriculture Researcher need to study and develop new environment friendly products that increases the agriculture output so that there is adequate supply of good quality food products all throughout the year. This would also include maximizing benefits of the farming community.
Agriculture researchers are in great demand especially in high population density countries like India where the food supply need to increase in order to feed the ever growing population. These researches study crops, farms, animals and allied factors and find out methods to improve the quality and quantity of output using the limited resources.
For this the researchers undertake the study of biology, physics, chemistry and applied sciences.
Academic qualification: An Agriculture Researcher should have a degree in B.Tech/B.E. in Agricultural Engineering, or diploma in Agriculturalal Engineering. One can undertake doctoral studies and become a subject matter expert.
1. Kerala Agricultural University, Vellanikkara
2. Allahabad Agricultural Institute, Allahabad
3. College Of Agricultural Engineering And Technology, Orissa
4. College Of Agricultural Engineering, Punjab Agriculture University, Ludhiana
5. Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, Mumbai, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Chennai
6. Birla Institute of Technology Pilani & Ranchi
7. Jadavpur University, Kolkata
Eligibility: For graduation in Agricultural Engineering one need to pass 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Maths/Biology.
Personality attributes: Requires high level of patience to carry out experiments and wait for results. A researcher should have good communication skills so that he/she can communicate his/her ideas and opinions even to the layman in a convincing manner.
Starting remuneration: A professional from a reputed institution can expect a starting salary of around Rs25,000 – 30,000 per month. With experience and expertise one can earn manifold both in the private as well as in the public sector.
1. Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Nilgiris
2. Bioserve Clinical Research Private Limited, Hyderabad
3. Lasky Herbal, Mumbai
4. Directorate Of Rice Research, Hyderabad
5. Indo Us Bio-Tech Private Limited, Ahmedabad
6. Novartis India – Seeds Division
7. Century Seeds Pvt.Ltd
8. Agro Biotech
9. Namdhari Seeds (Pvt) Ltd
10.Daftari Agro Private Limited